home about me wanderlust singing contact

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Au Pairing....the good, the bad, and the UGLY

Alright, so I think it might be time to shed some light on this whole au pairing experience. As you can see by the title, it's not all a walk in the park. For more specifics about the ugly you can talk to me personally...

Overall, it's been good. The work is easy, averaging 6 hours a day, Monday-Friday, and a lot of that time for me is just spent hanging around the kids or taking them to school, basketball, etc. Sometimes I feel completely worthless and don't feel like I'm doing anything at all, but then one of the kids will start screaming at me and calling me names all day and I remember that I need to cherish the easy periods. And that being said, even the bad times can be remedied by cute apology notes written in German and friendship bracelets.

Apology note from one of the kids after he was mean to me and called me names

Friendship bracelet made by the same kid! 

At the end of the day, this au pairing thing isn't too bad. It definitely has it's moments, and I know its only been two weeks, but I think I will manage it. If I'm having a bad day, I just think about those afternoons that I can spend lying in the English Gardens reading and listening to music, and then it's all okay :)

1 comment:

  1. pahahaha ya it's definitely not all hearts and flowers - but Germany definitely makes it worth it and I'm so jealous yo have the English Gardens so accessible! It will especially be worth it come Oktoberfest time :)

    ReplyDelete